On more than one occasion, my kids have come to me first thing in the morning full of grump with their dispositions in a pout. Usually, the first words out of their mouths are, “Daddy left, and he didn’t kiss me”. To that I always reply, “Yes, he did, but you were asleep.” Then they almost always say the same thing, “Well, I didn’t feel him”.
Now, I know my kids are talking about physical touch. They were not awakened, so how could Matt have kissed them? However, the downcast attitude is the longing to emotionally feel the relationship they have with their father.
Feelings are a funny thing aren’t they? We all need to “be in touch with our feelings” some would say. It is true that feelings are God given and benefit us in evaluating situations and relating with others, but they can also deceive us by masking truth in situations or control us in relating with others.
The truth is Matt kisses the kids every morning before he leaves. The truth is also that he loves them unconditionally. These two things are consistent and unchangeable about Matt even if the kids do not choose to realize it or believe it.
Lately, I have been struggling with “feeling” God. What I “feel” right now is loneliness, weariness & doubt not the unchanging consistency of the love that I know God has for me. So, the question is…how do I keep myself from getting in a “grump” and my “disposition in a pout”? Well…I guess I make a choice. I make the choice to focus on truth.
What truths do I know about my heavenly Father?
1. Lie - I am alone; He has forgotten me. Truth - He will never leave me.
2. Lie - I have to always be strong. I do not have the strength to continue. Truth - When I am weary, I can rest in Him. He will carry me. He is my eternal source of strength.
3. Lie – Maybe God changed His mind. Maybe He will not provide. Truth – God is unwavering. He has a perfect plan. He keeps his promises.
He speaks truth to me (and to you) every time we read His Word and pray. “Well, I don’t feel Him.” I say to myself. Too Bad…truth is truth…I may feel different right now or tomorrow, but the truth of my standing with God and God’s love for me is the same today, tomorrow and the day after that…and yes, the day after that….
How do you feel today? Now…what is the truth?
AT
No comments:
Post a Comment