Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Resting at the Center of the Potter’s Wheel

After the Potter throws the clay onto the wheel, the spinning begins.

I am sure at this point I am sure that the clay realizes that being on the wheel is not all that it thought it would be! As we would say, the clay’s world goes spinning out of control. What the clay must realize is that the spinning, though out of the clay’s control, is never out of the Potter’s control.

As the wheel spins the Potter pours water onto the clay. This is done to allow the Potter’s hands to “slide” over the clay. Without it the clay would stick to the Potter’s hands and the clay would be ripped to shreds. The water serves as a sort of grace. Often I hear people say that they want to feel the Potter’s hand in their life. What these people mean is that they want to see the results of the hand of the Potter in their life. Without the grace that the Potter offers to us as a free gift, we would be destroyed.

After applying a generous amount of water to the clay, the Potter places His hands on the clay and presses it into the center of His wheel. We all want to find the Potter’s wheel (read will) for our lives. Even on the wheel, the clay must be moved to the center of the wheel.

Have you ever had one of those days? One of those days where you can see in one of your children that they so desire to do right but somehow wrong choices continue to creep in on them? Every time they turn around they are “running into” the boundaries that have been set for them. They are constantly hearing “Don’t do that!” or “Don’t touch that!” When this happens in our family I think it helps to call them to me and sit together for a minute. When I hold them tight and tell them that I recognize that they are having a rough day and love them despite the choices that they are making, we both leave that embrace changed for the better. The child’s attitude usually improves and they are encouraged from within to do right.

In the same way the clay needs to be “hugged” into the center of the wheel by the Potter. Once covered by a generous helping of grace, the clay finds itself running into the potter’s hand at every turn. No matter the inner desire of the clay to obey, and conform to the Potter’s wishes, the clay finds itself running into the boundaries the potter has lovingly set for it through the use of His hands.

Romans 7:17-19 (New International Version)

17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

When the clay submits and allows the Potter to “hug” it into the center of His wheel, the clay no longer runs into the Potter’s hands.

In what area of your life are you running into the Potter’s hand? Are you allowing Him to hold you and whisper to you of the love that He has for you? Today allow Him to hug you into the center of His perfect will for you.

MT

No comments: