Sunday, June 22, 2008

Higher Ground

Well, it does seem very strange to me that lately God has been speaking to me through songs, but it is happening all the same. So, I guess I will be writing again about music. A few days ago in my morning quiet time, the chorus of an old hymn came to me as I was praying for a dear friend. I remember singing the song as a child and thinking that it was talking about a person going to live in heaven. Funny, how we often sing things without paying attention to the words. Now, after reading the words in my hymnal, I realize that the song is about daily drawing closer to him.

Here are the words to the hymn and my prayer today:

V1 I'm pressing on the upward way,
New heights I'm gaining every day
Still praying as I onward bound,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground

Lord, grant me the strength to continue to journey with you each day. I know You have so much You want to teach me. I am humbling myself, and I desire to learn. I am drawing close to you because in Your perfect will I find peace.

V2 My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay
Tho some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim is higher ground.

Father, please erase doubt and fear from my heart. I choose to trust You. I am following where You lead no matter where the journey takes me.

V3 I want to live above the world
Tho Satan's darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound
The song of saints on higher ground.

Jesus, I know that you are the conqueror. You are my shield. You give me the strength to stand up under attack. By faith, I choose to have joy each day in my circumstances.

V4 I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright
But still I'll pray till heaven I've found,
Lord, lead me on to higher ground

Lord, I confess I wish life were easy. I do often long to simply enjoy heaven, but I am committed to this life, and to be faithful in service to you. Lead me this day in trusting You.

C - Lord lift me up and let me stand
By faith, on heaven's table - land
A higher plane than I have found
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

Father, hold me. I do not desire to stand on my own. By faith, I continue this journey as You lead and direct. Lord, plant my feet each day on the higher ground you have.

Learning to trust Him by drawing close,
AT

No comments: