Thursday, August 13, 2009

Stepping Out on the Ledge

I think that most of us would agree that it is one thing to say you are going to do something and a totally different ball game to actually step out on the ledge. Today, I find myself on a ledge of sorts. It is the ledge of learning a new language. It came to me as I held Grace to look out our Salon window....I have not been joyfully fully surrendered to go out on the ledge.

Grace is my free spirit child. She is full of emotion, full of energy and full of trust! (a little too much of those things at times, but a healthy child indeed!) Grace loves to look out our front windows. She likes to imagine herself on the ocean, in the park, swimming at the hotel and sometimes even at the orphan home across the street. I never know what that child is going to say! However, we both know this....we are 5 stories up and there are serious consequences for anyone that dares to take her heals off the floor. This fact being crystal clear in everyone's mind; she asks me many times during the day to hold her so she can feel the breeze and get a good look. I gladly oblige; loving to watch her and also keeping curiosity from creeping in on her. : )

She has such joy in her heart. She throws her arms up, closes her eyes and just smiles. She is at total peace...no worries in the world. It is not that she is not aware of the dangers. We've spoken a great deal of them. She has even had the heartache of loosing her favorite headband; however, she has great happiness and trust in my arms. She knows I will never let go of her and that I would never allow her to do something where she would be harmed.

Why do I struggle to trust the same things from the Father? I know that He has brought me here. I know that He has not asked me to do something that I cannot do.

We transition tomorrow into the speaking phase of language learning. During this first half of phase 1, we have only been required to listen....filling our "iceberg" with sounds, vocabulary, etc. Now, I have to step out of my comfort zone.

Out on the ledge...yes, I am going to fail. I know everyone says, "You have to speak a new language bad before you can speak it well." but honestly it is just so intimidating. I know I will pronounce things wrong; call someone something terrible; and look like a ninny....well, maybe I've done all those things in my own language already! : )

SO, I'm stepping out, leaning forward, putting my arms up, and trusting! Here we go...I feel the breeze!

AT

2 comments:

J.A.C.K.Z. said...

We've had the same quandry. So far, they have responded well to earning cash for doing things I might pay someone else to do. No one wants to pick up puppy pookie, so I figure this is an area I can offer a little incentive (not that it applys to living in a flat with no pet). But are there any services that they are capeable of that you might "tip" someone else for?
Instead of driving through the car wash (again, may not apply there), the kiddos are able to earn $3 to clean a car (inside and out, I'm a slave driver). It's not weekly, but Jt and I are looking more toward teaching economics rather than salary. Trading labor for money.
So, they do not have consistent income, but are very calculated in their purchasing power. Champ has been saving for a hand held game for QUITE a while now. At one point, he decided to spend some of his earnings on a Ripstik and still have the leftovers to continue saving. I'm glad, he chose something more active as a priority to something mind-numbing.
Like you and Matt helped us to realize, their character will come through in these little decisions. A fun trial of our hearts and theirs.

Love you guys!

Ooh, one other thought... Loose change jar? Are you able to gather loose change daily/weekly into a jar? Every other month or so, there could be a family decision time on what to do with the change. Percentage it out... divide it into different family goals? A monthly Baklava treat, donating a portion to a local charity of sorts you're needing an excuse to introduce yourselves with, a special outing, sharing between the kids for their savings goals, or it could be a project that W&G facilitate by gathering, deciding and spending the money on birthday gifts for mom and dad (it's fun to see what they come up with).

J.A.C.K.Z. said...

I'm feeling your trepidation!! I'm heading up yellow team's decorating this year, and find myself writing notes and leaving messages the homeowners do not understand! I'm using dusty, 15 year old high school Spanish... but they are very proud of my efforts to communicate with them.
Jt, the kids and I visited with them yesterday after a mad rush of me measuring a BUNCH of things I forgot the first time. And they treated us to some of the sweetest watermellon (maybe that's the prenancy talking). But though coversation was broken, limited, and just down right goofy sounding, we enjoyed each other's company. I'm praying for you to have precious understanding neighbors, vendors, workers, that will appreciate your efforts and be compassionate to the timidity that will at first be present. You will most definitely pick up on when they are congratulating you for catching onto words and phrases... those teeninsey moments will be your blessings to encourage you on until you find yourself being blessed by an entire conversation. It'll be a fun ride, and your little Sponge #1 and Sponge #2 are going to make it even that much more interesting!!!