Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Few More Random Things...

Public transportation is the way to go in a big city. It is just too crazy to drive! We will have access to a company vehicle in 6 months, but it is not something that we will use on a regular basis. The great thing about our city is that there are so many choices. We live on a pretty busy street and the bus stop is right out front. On our key rings we carry something called an "Ock Bill". You "load" credit onto it, and it acts as a pass to ride the busses, the metro and many of the water busses. When you enter the bus, you simply "ding" it on the receiver. It charges your account and tells you how much you have left. I posted a picture of the ock bill as well as a picture of one of the mini buses and larges buses. I call the mini bus the "short" bus (most of you from the south will know what I mean by that!) because that is how I feel most of the time! : )

Here are two pictures of how our house is coming along. I would love to be decorating and making it "homey", but for now we are simply getting necessary items. We are grateful for larger stores like IKEA. The cost of living is more here than home, so we need to make things stretch. Grace's room is our largest space, so we are dividing it to make a spot for school. As you can see, we have some things on the wall in this room. These are items we brought from the states to help get a jump start on a good learning environment. Our family will begin language school with a tutor in our home on the 27th of this month. We will wait until closer to September to start our "normal" homeschool. The second home picture is of our "salon" or living room. It has a more modern feel than I have ever gone with before, but we are grateful for affordable items. Thankfully, the people in this culture happen to like a firm chair/couch rather than our American big fluffy Lazy Boys...so it works out with our budget. The chairs and the sheers have a small floral pint on them.

The next pictures I think are the best thing about our flat....the VIEW. Here is a picture of the Sea and of the park across the street. I have yet to see more green in the city. We feel very blessed. In the distance you can see the outline of the islands. I have been told the view is better in the winter. I can't wait for the snow!

I have to end with a sweet picture of the kidos. They love Grandpa's DVD player and Aunt Alison's "I love Lucy" episodes. (I know that makes you proud Aunt Jan/Lollie!) I don't see how they still like to snuggle in all this heat, but they manage. You can see William laughing at Lucy...priceless!

Well, I am not sure what everyone wants to hear. Email us with your questions as well as your personal family updates. We miss everyone. AT

1 comment:

WifeMotherGrandmotherofJoy said...

Hey everyone, love seeing the pictures and readin about how things are going. Love to all, and hugssssssssss, Ms. Jeffery