Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Music

The Music - "Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise." James 5:13b
Music is so powerful!  Recently, we were at some friends' house for prayer and fellowship.  One of the friends asked for some help coming up with 80's songs that could be played at a women's fellowship.  The next hour was filled with memories and laughter as we all tried to remember songs from our youth.  Amazing how music has a way of provoking emotions, touching our hearts and filling us with joy.  The Music - so fun!

The Music - "A Psalm for giving thanks. Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!" Psalm 100:1-2 - I have shared with a few of you that over the years I have developed some feelings of anxiety when traveling.  I am not sure what it is: claustrophobia; motion illness; spiritual attack....I just know that it puts me in a miserable place at times.  Well, Thursday around midnight Dubai time, I had been traveling almost 24 hours.  I could feel myself slipping into a bad place when I remembered that I was given an iphone, and Matt had filled it with praise music.  I pulled it out of my bag and immediately began to worship.  Amazing how all the feelings of worry and anxiety just disappeared!  I know it was only by prayer and by filling my mind with words and melodies of praise that I was able to make it the rest of the way without a major breakdown! The Music - so powerful!

The Music - “I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.” Hebrews 2:12 - Grace has been living in a Muslim country almost half of her life.  When we first moved overseas we decided to use the 5 times a day that the imams at the mosques send out the call to prayer as a time to ourselves pray for the people around us.  Yesterday, our first day in country (after 6 months in America), we were walking down the street when the call to prayer sounded.   Grace stopped in her tracks and said, "The Music!  Ohhhh, I have missed the music."  Amazing how different sounds might be scary to some, but to my sweet 9 year old the sounds of the "music" from the mosques makes her feel at home.  People might think that is strange; they might even think that is "un-christian", but I think that it is a picture of love.  Grace has learned to love people that are different from her.  She faithfully prays that all would know God's love and that no one would be lost.  The Music - AMAZING! 

"Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!" Psalm 95:1

"Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! ..." Psalm 150:1-6

The Music - AT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post. I have found music is my best, and sometimes only, language for worship. It also helps on long walks to the bus stop :-) Especially music is an integral mood improver, It is so nice to discover this happens to other people too.
-J