Thursday, January 17, 2013

On our Knees...Together

We are really trying to get creative with "killing time" in a hotel room;  so yesterday, I let Grace practice putting earrings in and out of her ears.  I know I was asking for trouble, but I let her match all the earring in our travel box and lay them on the dresser while she played "dress-up".  She spent several hours occupying herself with the jewelry.  The next thing you know the "I should have seen it coming" happened.  Grace appeared in the doorway with a long face and said,  "Mom, I have lost one of the earrings."  OH MAN - was my first thought, but thankfully, I paused.  I had a decision to make.  I could get mad, give a consequence for irresponsibility, give a lecture on the importance of certain things, etc. OR I could take her by the hand and go to the room and get on my knees with her.  Grace is 9.  She could have tried to hide her error from me.  She could have employed her brother to help her find the earring.  She could have tried to just carry the guilt, and hope I would not find out.  First of all, I'm the mom...I would have found out!  Second, and most importantly, I want an open relationship with my daughter.  How I deal with her today will determine the trust between us.  We didn't find the earring.  Am I sad? Yes.  Is she sad?  Yes.  Do we still have a relationship?  YES!  We worked through it together. 

Recently, someone I love dearly confessed a sin to me.  Did they have to come to me?  No.  Would I have found out about it eventually?  Yes.  In that moment of openness I had a choice...I could lecture, preach and condemn, or I could commit to getting on my knees with the person. 

God already knows when we mess up!  In fact, His word says that "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)  I think so often we view God as a Lord that sits around ready to hand out consequences.  Yes, consequences will come; we have to live with the repercussions of our actions. Sometimes there is loss and sometimes what has been done will change not just our life but everyone around us....however, God is a Father that desires relationships.  He is sitting at the right hand making intercession for us.  (Romans 8:34)  He is praying for us when we don't know how. (Romans 8:26) In other words, HE gets on His knees with us because there is nothing too big or too small that should keep us from HIM!

Where in our lives do we need to stop judging and lecturing and simply get on our knees with people?  Are we living a life that when our family, friends, the lost around us...are in "trouble", need freedom, need help, need somewhere to turn...they know they can come to us?

Yes, sin is still sin, but the sinner is dearly loved. Colossians 3:12 "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

Let's get on our knees together...AT     

1 comment:

Queen Mother said...

A good mommy reminder indeed! Thankful for the grace the Lord provided you in that moment to take your child by the hand and look together instead of choosing to fuss.