
Maybe I am just feeling old after having just celebrated another birthday, but the word LEGACY has been swirling around in my head over and over. What legacy am I leaving? What
footprint will I have left on this earth when I am gone? I know, I know all of my "earth friendly" friends might have just gasped. Please don't get ruffled. The Travis family is doing its part as best we can to "not leave" a
footprint of waste and destruction, but yes we are trying to leave something behind us everywhere we go. 2 Sam. 22:37 says,
"You enlarge my steps under me, and my feet have not slipped." What was David doing that God would enlarge, bless his steps and keep him from slipping? David was following the Lord, and his desire was solely on pleasing the Lord. So, I ask myself, "What has the Lord called me to do, and is my desire solely on pleasing HIM?" I know that he has called me to this new country, but specifically what am I to be doing right now? Where should I place my
feet? Job 29:15 says,
"I was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame." Sounds easy, right?..."this is how I am
feet to the lame (i.e. my calling); I should just do it!" However, everything changed this year for our family - not just job & country, but ministry, relationships, how we parent, how we keep a healthy marriage, etc. I am suprised by how it all looks so different in this new context. I confess there are time that I feel like I am in a glass bowl trying to please locals, job leaders, home support teams, team mates and family. The worst are the times like now when I feel like I am failing at everything. I want to be able to claim as David did in Psalm 17:5
"My steps have held fast to YOUR paths. " and not worry about PLEASING others, but it is such a massive trap that I get pushed into not just by myself but by others. I have to keep daily reminding myself that Mary the sister of Lazarus was right to simply sit at the
feet of the Master. A legacy of simple surrender, peace and trust will not be passed on to my children or the people around me, if I am filling my time with worry and trying to please man. Last week, while we were in Cyprus, I spent an afternoon at the seashore basically alone simply allowing the strong winds to blow over me. As I was breathing in the salty air and swaying to the ebb and flow of the water, I couldn't help but simply praise Him. It struck me that praising Him is all that is asked of me. Why do I get so caught up in everything else? I am determined again today (with HIS help of course) to not let others determine my attitude or actions, and I am trusting Him to show me what
footprint legacy He wants left for HIS glory! AT
Romans 10:15b
"....How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things." How pretty are your feet?
No comments:
Post a Comment