Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Do You Need Something?

I found the note you see on the left attached to Grace's door yesterday. It says, "Bo not cum in unles you neb sumthening" Translation = "Do not come in unless you need something." I love it when I find things that the kids have written from their hearts. Of course, the homeschool teacher in me gasps at the wrong use of letters and misspellings, but the mom in me rejoices at a glimpse of my child's character. I am sure that the note started out to be a bold statement of "GIRLS ONLY" or "ONLY CLUB MEMBERS ALLOWED", but it would look like the fruits of kindness and love won in the end making her room open to anyone that need enter. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me when I watch my kids make the right choice. You can bet I have used this opportunity to praise and affirm Grace's attitude of being a helper and not excluding people, but today the Father has laid on my heart another simple truth Grace needs to learn. You see Grace would just like to "be a Christian". For about a year, she has wanted to "get baptized". How many countless people do I know that simply want "in". They think that because they are "good" or at least they haven't done anything "major" wrong they are not deserving of Hell...so surly they will go to Heaven.? The truth is that unless a person realizes their own worthlessness and understands that they "need something" they will not be allowed "in". In Matthew 9:13 Jesus says, "I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Again, In Mark 2:17 it is recorded that Jesus said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Luke 5:32 quotes Jesus as saying, "I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." Over and over in the gospels Jesus tells us that we have to admit "we need something!" Sounds simple, right! Then why is it so hard? Why is it so hard to humble ourselves, admit we are wrong and that we "need something"? The promise is that Christ will be with us. He has not promised an "easy life" despite what is being preached/taught today! But, He has done all of the work for us and He even promises to be the one to "walk in the door" of our hearts and change us. Revelation 3:2o says, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me." Wow! That thought makes my heart sing the old hymn: "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing!" How merciful He is to us; how loving. I am praying today for the right words and special ways to instruct Grace in humbling herself before the Lord. It is she that "needs something" - Salvation that is found in Christ alone. AT
















No comments: