Sunday, December 13, 2009

Third Week of Advent = Joy

One of my first blogs in 2008 was titled, Excellent Source of Happiness. (click here if you would like to read.) I discuss what I believe is true happiness, so I won't go into that discussion today. This week the focus is Joy. What is Joy? I don't know how many times I have heard that because I am a believer I may not always have "happiness", but I will always have joy. I am not sure that I have ever agreed with that statement. Just because I am a believer I have joy?? Three weeks ago, our Sunday house group started a new children's curriculum. As a family we are really enjoying our homework and discussions during the week. The focus is on the centrality of the greatness and worth of God. Our Bible memory verse this week is Psalm 16: 11a "You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence." Here is what I believe is the truth about Joy. I will only have joy and be filled with joy when I am spending time in the presence of the Lord. Does that mean I think joy will only come when I am in Heaven? NO - because Christ came; died in my place; and rose again, I believe I can have a relationship with Almighty God right now. I am filled with the Holy Spirit, and because of Christ's blood I have the freedom to be in the Father's presence. Jesus tells us in John 15:11, "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full." What things had he "just spoken"? He was teaching on daily abiding in Him. No, I don't think that because I am a believer that I always have joy. There have been times over my last 17 years as a believer that I struggled with finding joy. It was during those times that because I was a believer, God sometimes through His hand of correction, His reminders of ultimate control or His process of sanstification in me, brought me back to His presence to find joy again. John Piper once said, "The best news in the world is that there is no necessary conflict between our happiness and God's holiness. Being satisfied with all that God is for us in Jesus magnifies Him as a great Treasure." If I am daily choosing to fill my heart with the treasures of the Lord, I will have lasting joy. I love the old chorus "Holy Ground". You may remember the first line in the song says: In His presence, there is joy beyond all measure and at His feet, peace of mind can still be found. Joy is found in Christ alone. It is a daily choice to take up my cross; put on the armor of God; follow Him; abide in His presence; and FIND JOY!
Making a DAILY choice! AT

Pictures: This Christmas week we have been so thankful for the ability to now watch "youtube". We have found several classic Christmas cartoons and movies. The first pic is of the kids watching on Matt's computer. The second pic. is of me knitting. One of my local friends is patiently trying to teach me. The last pic. is of course of the wonderful Starbucks! I was so excited to get a Christmas cup of delight! I had to take the kids to the doctor/big hospital a little ways away (parasite issues - whole different story), so we decided to visit the mall. The kids were able to ride a few "amusement park" type rides, but I forgot my camera, so the only evidence is the wonderful treat I brought home.








No comments: