Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fourth Week of Advent = Peace

Yes, I desire peace on earth; and no, I was never a beauty pageant queen! My heart simply aches for the new people that I am growing to love. I am daily struck by the millions around me that are searching for peace. Where our family is living, "Shalom Aleikhem" is a common greeting people give each other. It means, "peace upon you." It is the phrase Jesus used in greeting the disciples after His resurrection. The sad thing is that only 2% of the people in this part of the world know Christ. Just wishing peace on someone will never give them the peace their hearts hunger after. I admit I sometimes wish it were that easy. However, peace only comes through Jesus Christ. Christ alone gives peace to those who seek Him, and it is only though Christ that this world will know lasting peace. The Apostle Paul instructs us that the only way we will know peace is by knowing and following Christ. He tells us to actively seek this peace. How can I actively seek peace? I believe we do this not by anxiously trying to control our own lives, but by surrendering our needs to God in prayer. Isaiah 26:3 says, "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." Philippians 4:4-7 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (what happens when we do this?) And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Why is it that simple obedience seems so hard?! I simply have to rejoice in Him, walk in gentleness, not be anxious, pray and be thankful! I love how Ann Spangler talks about peace. She says, "May His peace settle into your soul and rule in your heart. May it become the loom on which your life is woven, clothing you with his compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience." Wow, may it be so in my life and I wish the same for your life. May you find the peace that comes through HIM today, AT

Our Christmas activities last week were mostly in the area of baking, baking, and more baking. We refused to let the water being turned off in our building be a discouragement to us.....Praise the Lord for bottled and stored water! We made my mom's yummy, chocolate balls. (Thank you Dad & Mom; Grandpa & Grandma for the wonderful care package!) We also made oatmeal cookies and participated in a "cookie exchange" with some other Americans. The kids and I will be passing out the wrapped cookies/gifts to our neighbors this coming week. We also had a birthday party for Jesus at our house this Sunday. We read scripture and the kids acted out the Christmas story. It was a lot of fun. The last picture shown is of our first snow of the year. It did not stay on the ground, but we still have hopes for a white Christmas! The video is of our favorite Christmas hymn this holiday season. Check out how William smacks Grace just as they are starting - We obviously have some instruction on "living in peace with all men" to go over with our children this week! HA!


No comments: