Monday, December 7, 2009

Second Week of Advent = Love

To do lists, shopping lists, check the calendar for events and commitments, decorating...yes, the "busyness" of the season has followed us around the world. Even living overseas, I have to remind myself that the Christmas season is not about go, go, go and do, do, do. It is about the ONE who came (and is coming again) and has already done what we cannot do for ourselves.

We had been married a little less than 9 months when I happened upon food poisoning for the first time. If any of you have ever had the great fortune of experiencing such an illness, you will know what I am talking about when I say that I felt overtaken and possessed. I had absolutely no control over my body. It started while we were at someone's house for small group on a Sunday night. Talk about embarrassing! I have no idea how Matt got me home - several stops on the side of the road. Then somewhere around midnight, he physically picked me up and rushed me to the emergency room of Northhills Hospital. Let's just say the honeymoon was definately over at that point...not because the "excitement" was gone...but because if there had been any "pretending" to care or should I say "take care" of each other, this is where it would have come to light. Matt was "THE MAN"! He cleaned up all kinds of things we won't mention - physically making himself ill!. He encouraged me, prayed over me and never left my side. This was also the event that made me realize how much my in-laws really considered me part of the family. They came to the hospital and stayed until late in the night. My sister-in-law, Jan, came with them even though she had 3 small children at home. She held my hand and followed me into a germ riddled restroom where only the Lord's protection saved us. (well, that part is a little bit of a tall tale, but it was BAD!)

So, why am I telling you a 12 year old story...well, to give you a physical picture of love. Love is not about romance and personal fulfillment. Love is sacrifice, commitment and selflessness. So what are we doing and filling our time with this Christmas season? Is my focus on what's in it for me? People say, "Oh, we need to teach our kids about the real meaning of Christmas." But, I think that our generation is still looking to the Christmas tree (and credit cards) to fill some sort of "love tank" that we are not sure how to satisfy. What do I think shows love? Yes, gift giving is one form of showing love, but do I know the other ways in which my family and friends receive love. One year, at my in-laws, the adults didn't give gifts at all. We wrote notes expressing our love. If you have not read the books on love languages, check them out. They are awesome and have really opened my eyes to how I interact with my loved ones.

This week of advent, we are re-evaluating how we are showing love to each other. We are also taking time to study the ONE that showed the greatest love. "Greater love has no one than this, than one lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13 Christ did this for us. Romans 5 tells us that while we were still in sin, He gave His life for us. We shouldn't love someone because of what they can do for us. That type of love will never hold a marriage together, children in right-relationship with their parents or make for lasting friendships. We love people just because...just becasue of who they are in Christ - someone worth dieing for!

Remembering True Love, AT

PS: William really did have his arm around Grace without prompting. I snapped the pic. and he took it down and wanted to be silly with hinnies in the air and reading books!

No comments: