Friday, October 31, 2008

The Reason We Participate

I have found that there are several things even within the body of believers that are "hot buttons" and would seem somewhat difficult to talk about. Politics, Denominations, Schooling, Parenting, just to name a few. Matt & I have diligently tried to seek what God would have for our family, not judge what others choose for their family and simply try to continue to be open to God's voice in each area.



Halloween is one of those crazy areas where there are multiple opinions. I am not writing this to debate, but to simply throw out the the main reason why we have decided to this point to participate.



The Opportunity to Meet People Where They Are!

It has been one of the goals for our family to share Christ. (click here to read our family purpose statement) Throughout the year, we often look for ways to bless our neighbors by inviting them to our family events, trying to meet needs they may have personally, etc. etc. Halloween would seem to be the one time during the year that neighbors openly seek out each other. We have not wanted to miss that opportunity by having our door shut to them.



In an age where neighbors do not really know each other or even look to each other for social networks, I find it hard to consider not capitalizing on the chance. Over the years, Matt & I have been amazed at the opportunities that have been handed to us by simply establishing our home as one that is inviting and open. We have watched God take our small acts of obedience and use them for His kingdom.



As our family is preparing to move overseas, we are studying different holidays and customs. Many, obviously, do not match up with what we believe and may even take us out of our comfort zone; however, we are open to God showing us how He wants us to participate in order to engage the culture. I am not surprised that as God is preparing us, we have been convicted that we should be doing the same thing with the current people we are living among.



Paul said in I Corinthians 9:22, "To the weak I became weak to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." So what does it mean to become all things to all men? I guess that is the challenge. I recognize that we are called to live holy, but I want to do so in a manner that still leaves me approachable and desirable as salt & light to those around me.



Again, Matt & I have heard both sides of the Halloween issue, and I am not trying to say that our choice is right or wrong for anyone else. I simply wanted to share our reason for participation. Perhaps it will encourage someone to consider using the day as an opportunity to meet people where they are.




AT

Click here for more pics.






No comments: