Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Not Today Temptation!

Overall, I am not a sweets person, AND...hold your breath....I really don't care for chocolate. Yes, I am 100% female, but alas, I don't see what the big deal is over the stuff.  I do have my "guilty pleasures".  You don't get to be my size by accident.  However, as a general rule I am not tempted by sweets.  At least I thought I wasn't tempted...

Over the last 20 years, the U.A.E. has been invaded by fast-food chains.  (I find it no coincidence that obesity and diabetes are huge problems here!)  One restaurant is often linked with another sharing precious real-estate space.  They have all mastered the art of crafty advertising, bargains and specials as well as seasonal/monthly give-a-ways.  However, it is my opinion that none do it better than Baskin Robins/Dunkin Donuts.  Yep, and that opinion is coming from a non-sweet eater.  In fact, two of my least favorite things are ice cream and cake donuts, but EVERY time I walk or drive past an establishment I think, "Hmm, I'd like to go in there."

The stores are splashed with vibrant colors, well placed advertisements, incentives, festive lounge areas, patios, shade, etc.  I often find myself thinking, "I should try a donut.  Look how cute it is.  Perhaps I will like it this time.?" 

Wait - WHAT?!  I am getting closer to 40 than I would like to admit....I have eaten Dunkin Donuts....I know what they taste like...they are not my thing...WHY do I think that will change just because of fancy icing, umbrella chairs and freebies?

The crazy thing is...it IS working.  People are flocking to these stores.  They are ALL OVER the country.  You can't drive down a street without seeing one.  Now, granted, I know that to many they actually like the sweet stuff.  However, it can't be just the taste that is luring very picky eaters. (Most Central Asians and Arabs are "finicky" about foods...learned that hard lesson in Turkey.)  Some of the credit has to fall to the craftiness of the marketers. 

The question I am asking myself today is, "Why do I so easily fall for the gimmicks?"

Well, perhaps it goes back to what the Bible says about the lust of the flesh and eyes, and the pride of life.  I know I need to drop some pounds, but it is so hard to say no to my flesh.  My eyes are deceived by what seems to be good, but is not good for me.  My pride wants to tell me that I can make up for the calories with my next visit to the treadmill, but time has not lied to me.  The months of eating wrong have not "paid off" by exercise.  I have to make a hard and fast choice to change. 

I think it is like this in so many areas of our lives.  Temptations my be great but they do not have to be given the victory.  I can walk past the bright yellow, smiley faced donuts and ice cream snowmen and say, "Not today temptation; not today!"    

James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love Him."  There are all sorts of debates around what that crown of life will be; to whom and when it will be given, but the bottom line is this - the momentary pleasures of this life are nothing compared to what God desires for us. 

Right now, I know that God desires that I trust Him for what is good and pleasing.  Jesus overcame the world by understanding the power of the Word of God.  May I spend each day with my focus not on food or exercise (or whatever tempts you) but on filling my mind with His Word.  I know that it will be a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (Ps. 119:105)  It will guide me right past the donut shops and over to the Asian salad bar! 

Speaking Truth over Temptation today!  AT  

No comments: