The above cartoon was posted on Facebook by a national friend of mine. She is a follower of Christ, but continues to wear a head cover in most situations. Isn't it amazing how different we all view issues such as modesty, respect and oppression? If I had to guess, most of us reviewing this "comic" would put ourselves somewhere in the middle. I know it might be easy for us to "camp out" on the "male-dominated culture" part of the statement, and I do have my opinions on a woman's place in the world and home, but I'll save that for another post. The question that keeps playing in my mind right now is: "What should my dress look like in order to be a witness in the culture in which I live?" Obviously, I do not want to compromise my own beliefs and convictions (whether that be to dress extremely modest or to walk in "freedom"), but let's look at what 1 Corinthians 9:22 says, "To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some." So, how do I reconcile how I prefer to dress while ministering in a culture that requires a different style. Life is ministry remember - we are all bond-servants! Women working with youth might dress very differently than women working in a women's ministry. I believe this concept looks very different around the globe. I have several friends living in the Middle East & all over Central Asia, and they fully cover like the woman on the right. It is very difficult for American women living abroad to not be viewed in a negative light. The lack of morals and ungodly behavior that people see in "American TV and films" is what locals believe is acceptable to all Americans. This makes ministry very difficult. An American woman is viewed as guilty of immorality until she proves herself to be pure. I realize that in America today "covering" is most associated with Islamic beliefs, but the reality is that it has only been in the last 50-70 years that American women did not cover when going outside their home. Yes, it looked a little different in history over the years, but "propriety and modesty" were the driving factors in being covered. On the other side, I also have several friends working in the jungles of Africa and South America. If they were to dress like the woman on the right, they would likely scare the natives away!! They might think a "spirit" had come to live among them!! Funny, but still true given native beliefs and cultures. My friends in these cultures have to dress comfortable and more "informal". Later in Corinthians, Paul writes "Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God; [in other words, adapt as much as you can in non-sinful ways] just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of the many, that they may be saved. [That's the same as 9:22.] Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ." I think the key words here for us to take away are "all to the glory of God". May everything we do, even down to how we dress, be for HIS glory and use, and may we seek to understand why a woman chooses to dress in a certain manner before we judge. AT

3 comments:
We read of Hudson Taylor's ministry in China. He paved the way for people in your position to feel "free" to dress within the comorts of the community you are serving. He even grew a ponytail and had the rest of his head shaved. I say, you.go.girl. If you hear the HS whispering that some of your new friends might open up more as they see you meeting them on their turf, then I can't wait to see the pictures!! Although, I have a question out of curiosity. Would anyone there ever consider those motives to be equal to our "wolf in sheep's clothing?" I'll ask for blessing on your decision!!
We read of Hudson Taylor's ministry in China. He paved the way for people in your position to feel "free" to dress within the comorts of the community you are serving. He even grew a ponytail and had the rest of his head shaved. I say, you.go.girl. If you hear the HS whispering that some of your new friends might open up more as they see you meeting them on their turf, then I can't wait to see the pictures!! Although, I have a question out of curiosity. Would anyone there ever consider those motives to be equal to our "wolf in sheep's clothing?" I'll ask for blessing on your decision!!
That is a very interesting question. I don't believe it would be taken as "a wolf in sheep's clothing" because all Americans as looked at as "Christian". (sadly!!!) A person would not be looked at as trying to be "a different religion" as much as they would be looked at as respectful.
I found an interesting blog from a woman that was confronted with being immodest. Read if you have time. http://womenlivingwell.org/2012/06/i-was-confronted-for-being-immodest/
Post a Comment