Friday, June 22, 2012

Godly Hoping OR Standing on Faith

Last Saturday, we drove an hour north up to the Black Sea to spend a day at the beach.  Besides a little over exposure to the sun, (I am SOOO white...well, now red!) it was a wonderful day.  On the drive up, we passed several rode-side-stands selling towels, mats and various beach items.  We decided to stop and buy the kids some blow-up tubes.  I am so glad we did - it was the hit of the day!!  The kids thoroughly enjoyed floating along without a care in the world.  Oh, to be a kid again...carefree!  I, on the other hand, spent a good deal of the day walking along the beach making sure that the current was simply taking them down the shoreline and not out to the deep, a shark was not stalking them, their tubes didn't pop, etc., etc.  You see I had "cares"!  However, as I watched the kids laughing, giggling, splashing and playing, I was struck with how important faith is.  How I need to surrender my "cares" into His most capable hands.  William and Grace had complete faith in their situation.  Did they fully understand the dangers of the undertow or other such things - no!  Did they need to - no!  It is enough that their father said, "Go and do this thing."  I so desire to float along in faith just like that.  Sadly, I often spend way too much time checking the tide and asking multiple times if my Father really does want me to "go and do this thing".  I feel myself acting like the  Disney elephant character, Tantor, from the 1999 Tarzan movie =  "Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!"   I so wish I would instead stand boldly like David when hearing of the giant Goliath taunting the army of God. =  “The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” (1 Sam. 17:37)  I know that I can only stand on faith when I have hidden the Word of God in my heart and have faith in my relationship with Him.  That means fully surrendering control to HIM.  It will be at that time that I can boldly say, "for the battle is the Lord’s"! (1 Sam. 17:47)  David was still just a shepard boy, but how had he spent his time in the fields?  He spent it worshiping and drawing near to the Father.  It was because of this relationship that he had faith that God's will for his life was enough.  Live or Die - let God decide.  It always gets my blood pumping when I read, "David hurried and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine." (1 Sam. 17:48)  David didn't wait and check the sky for the right conditions; check the grass for obstacles; ask God for a set course of action, etc. David took what he had and knew how to use and charged forward!  I love how the Living Bible records the next two verses:  Deuteronomy 31:6, "Be strong!  Be courageous!  Do not be afraid of them!  For the Lord your God will be with you.  He will neither fail you nor forsake you."  John 14:27, "I am leaving you with a gift -  peace of mind and heart!  And the peace I give isn't fragile like the peace the world gives.  So don't be troubled or afraid."  We CAN "float along carefree"!!  Why? Because:  He will keep His promises; He is in control; and HE loves us more than we can ever imagine! Floating Away Today - AT

No comments: