Shortly after moving to Turkey, a local family adopted us. I have written about them many times over the years. We love them dearly. One of the things that my local "grandma" was determined to teach me was handiwork. She wanted to begin with crochet. I am not sure how many hours we sat side-by-side with her giving instructions and me helplessly fouling it up, but eventually she got "fed-up". She took the hook from my hand, threw it on the table and said that I would not learn. I am sure that my eyes were as big as saucers. I know they were ready to spill over with tears. I was already struggling with language, culture, food and relationships...was I to fail at this, too!! She must have seen my shock and forthcoming tears because she quickly smiled and grabbed up the knitting needles. Believe me I took them with trembling hands and lots of prayer! "Please God, HELP!! I need to learn this. I need to succeed at something!!" After several more hours of instruction...and I believe many huffs and eye rolling...I was slowly knitting. (and I mean sllllloooooowwwwwlllly) When I left her house that evening, I was determined to go home and continue working. Over the next few days, I made something that could resemble a pot holder. It had many holes from missed stitches, but I did it!! Success!!! After that, I moved on to scarves, hats, socks, ponchos and I am working on my first sweater. I have never been "crafty"; that's my mom's department; but this is fun...even therapeutic. It has been nice to be able to have something in my hands while I listen to children read and while I am helping with lessons or watching TV. I have always had a hard time with these particular activities because I hate being still. However, I think the thing that I love the best about this craft is the time I am able to spend in prayer. I have several family members and friends in the States that I decided to pray for as I do certain tasks. As I do normal tasks throughout the day, I have set certain activities as prompts to pray for particular individuals. I decided to do that with knitting as well. I have a friend that I pray for every time I knit. I also pray for the person for whom I am knitting. In previous posts, I have been writing about how the Father is teaching me to worship and praise Him. I am amazed at how He so desires to work in our lives through everything that we are doing. Recently in my knitting, I have been having beautiful (yet sometimes difficult...but clear) visions and sweet words from the Father. He truly has a perfect plan for our lives. He has knitted each piece of our lives into perfect order. Will we be simple pot holders or complicated sweaters? Will the colors change once, twice, over and over or perhaps never? Will we see missed stitches when really it was the beginning of a beautiful flower pattern? We may not know what the end will create, but it will be wonderfully made and precious in His sight. We simply need to walk with hands and hearts that are stretchable, changeable and moldable for His glory. AT


No comments:
Post a Comment