Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pilgrim's Progress

The Pilgrim's Progress from This World to That Which Is to Come is a Christian allegory written by John Bunyan and published in February, 1678. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of religious English literature. It has been translated into more than 200 languages, and has never been out of print. (Wikipedia)  For the last 2 years we have been using A Beka homeschool materials for Language Arts.  We have truly enjoyed the traditional style and great literature.  The last reader in the 3rd grade program is a version of Pilgrim's Progress.  Having attended public schools, this classic was not something that I read.  I have heard it referred to in sermons and other discussions, but I had not taken the time to read it for myself.  Truthfully, I often get lost in some of the writings of the classics.  John Branyan is a Christian comedian.  He gives a sketch that is hilarious describing our current lack of understanding as well as proper use of the English language.  The Three Little Pigs. After over 8 years of trying to teach language, I can say that it is possible that I am even more confused today! LOL!!  I am; however, grateful that I am experiencing some of the classics on a simple level along side my kids.  Perhaps in the future, I will try to get my hands on the original version, but for now I would like to recommend to anyone who has not read this classic to perhaps try the "readers version".  One of the great things about this book is the questions at the end of the chapters.  They allowed for great discussions of faith and theology for our family.  I was a little worried each year when I started with my 3rd grader.  I wondered if they would not be able to understand the allegory; however, much to my surprise each child put themselves right in the book.  The gospel came alive before their eyes.  Our kids have been highly exposed to the sharing the gospel, but this was a wonderful picture of watching a person travel down the road of salvation.  This would be a great summer read for kids; however, I would suggest perhaps reading as a family or one-on-one so as to allow for questions and discussions.  We can give our kids a lot of things, but pointing them to the gospel and the road of salvation is a must.  Let's do it over, and over and over again in every form possible!!  AT    

No comments: