Monday, March 28, 2011

the impact of one...

Some of you may remember a blog that I wrote when we first arrived on the field about an incident at a grocery store . (click here if you want to read) At the end of the blog, I shared that God lead us to a new store with a helpful butcher and friendly attendants. The name of the store was Kiler. Sounds strange in English, but it is music to my ears right now because we are getting a Kiler in my current city....well, not just in my city, I can see it from my kitchen window!!! I am SUPER EXCITED!!! We have watched for several weeks now in anxious anticipation, and finally, they announced its opening! I know it is the little things in life that make me overjoyed these days (like the 1 Dr. Pepper I still have in my fridge sent from the terrific Mrs. Shifflette), but why when I have a perfectly good grocery store, am I so thrilled about Kiler? I think it comes down to relationships. Kiler was the first place overseas that I felt welcomed and wanted. I felt safe and comfortable inside the store, and despite my pitiful language, I was able to communicate. Now, before I start singing the theme song to "Cheers" (okay, too late), I do realize that my experience at this new Kiler may be totally different. I could actually hate the store and never shop there. Why? Because really, my excitement about the store is about the friends that I had and hope to have again. Isn't it amazing the impact that we have on the people around us!! Over the weekend, our apartment was put on the market and sold all in one day. Evidently, our apartment owner has some debt he wants to pay off and decided to sell our flat to a business aquaintance. Our doorman gave us 45 min. notice to have the apartment ready for our owner to show. As it turns out, the man that bought the apartment "really liked us". The kids and I mostly stayed out of the way, as it was all men looking at the apartment, but Matt was able to chit/chat with the new owner. He was impressed that we have all "learned the language" (are learning I would say!!) He also asked if we knew a man named "E". "E" was an American here doing the "main thing". He has been back in the States a number of years, but the crazy thing is this was not the first time someone has asked us about him. I know we are one of 4 foreign families in a city of 1.5 million so we kind-of stick out, but to come across people that have met this other foreigner seems strange....well, no it seems like a God thing doesn't it!! We have no idea what "E" said to our new landlord. He said enough to have made an impression, and from what we know of his legacy he shared the main thing everywhere he went. Wow, he will likely never know the impact he made on this land, but PTL he was here before us paving the way. May we continue in his footsteps! We pray God continues to give us those "chance" encounters. Throwing out the seed, watering and harvesting....AT

No comments: