I love it when I find myself living in/participating in poems and other literature. A mentor of mine once said,
"All truth comes from God." She herself is an avid reader - not just what is considered "Christian" in nature, but all works. When she first said this, I confess, I really had to roll it over in my mind. I think in our world today so many people in an effort to "not offend" have jumped on the train of
everything is good and all roads lead to God. I realized, or course, that is not at all what she meant, and we both completely disagree with that line of thought. She was simply trying to help me understand that God is sovereign over all things, and He can draw us to His truth in a variety of ways. I have shared this before, but I am continually amazed at how the Father speaks to me. He speaks in a variety of ways, but most often recently it is through day to day events. It is almost like at special moments the Holy Spirit tugs my heart and whispers His truth. I would love to report that I entered 2011 fully motivated, inspired and pushing forward with full

force. Unfortunately, in truth it has been more a story of gritting my teeth, holding the rope with all my might and drudging forward. Yes, I have goals, as mentioned in my last post; however, most of the goals really just mirror what God has had me doing for almost 2 years now. I have not had a poor attitude, but I have had a real lack of enthusiasm. This week, I believe that the Father has been calling me to the carpet and showing me over and over the importance of PERSERVERANCE. It has been during my homeschool time with the kids while reading different pieces of literature that the Father has spoken. I would like to share a few of those moments/works of literature with you: The first one is the story of John James Audubon. Audubon's story is one of triumph over adversity. He was born illegitimately in what is now Haiti to a French sea captain. He was raised by his step-mother in France and was sent to the Americas to escape being sent to war with Napoleon's army. His birth-mother had a great love for birds and wildlife. In his early years, while still in Haiti, she influenced him greatly in this area. Once in America, he determined to write and illustrate a book on American Birds. He dedicated his whole life to this cause often spending months and years in the American wilderness. Grace read a short story about his life this week. It stated that at one time he had been in the wilderness for over a year tracking, studying and painting birds when mice got into the box that held all of his writings and paintings. Without him knowing, the mice gnawed and shredded all of his work in an effort to make a nest for themselves. He was grief stricken at the discovery. He spent several days lamenting the loss. However, after his time of mourning, he got up, dusted himself off and spent the next four and a half years creating his best work.

He had learned a great deal through the experience, and he was able to paint and put out better works than his originals. To this day other wildlife artists are still measured against him. Wow, what strength it takes to lose everything and keep going towards your goal! The second work of literature that spoke to me is
"Aesop's Fables". We use
The Mystery of History curriculum, and this week we did a short lesson on Aesop's life as well as Greek storying. We have a copy of
"Aesop's Fables", so for fun we decided to read several and discuss their meaning. You can guess, as God would have it, every one of the short stories the kids chose, the Holy Spirit used to convict my heart to persevere. The written moral for the famous,
"The Hare and the Tortoise" is: "The race is not always to the swift." How many times have I prayed, "Lord, please help me to get through this quickly?" When really what I need to be praying is, "Father give me your strength, teach me that may I be useable for your Kingdom."

The last work is one by Shel Silverstein. (I posted a blog using one of his works last year.
Click Here to read.)
Melinda Mae "Have you heard of tiny Melinda Mae, Who ate a monstrous whale? She thought she could, She said she would, So she started in right at the tail. And everyone said, "You're much too small," But that didn't bother Melinda at all. She took little bites and she chewed very slow, Just like a good girl should...And it eighty-nine years she ate that whale, Because she said she would!" Crazy...but what a testimony of someone keeping their word and being faithful to a task! SOOOO, now that I have made this blog WAY longer than I intended....what is my point? Whatever God has asked you to do, do not lose heart...Just Keep Going!! AT
1 comment:
great post, amy. thanks for this :).
Post a Comment