Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Week of School 2010-2011

Praise the Lord, I think I can stamp the first week of school as a success. We held our smiles and excitement most of the time. I believe we are really enjoying our new curriculum. I was nervous about the Language Arts program, but it seems to be a lot of fun and yet challenging. It is a classical approach. For now, I seem to be able to manipulate it to work well with the kids' learning styles, my teaching style and our time available. We are continuing with our same Bible studies and Math-U-See. We added back Answers in Genesis' "God's Design For" series for our science. The big hit this year so far is our new "Mystery of History" curriculum. They love listening to the audio lessons, creating flash cards to study for tests, looking at old and new worlds maps, etc. To tell you the truth, I am learning right along with them!! The kids are also very excited to be taking piano lessons again. William still really wants to play the guitar. Maybe we can move to that in a year or so. Our new fellowship seems to be full of very talented musicians who love children. W&G enjoy sitting with all the teens and taking turns playing the recorder, clarinet, saz, guitar, etc. It's always a big jam session before we start meetings. We are blessed to have a young lady coming to our home for 2 hours each day to help us with language. It seems to work best if we try to accomplish one activity (an hour to an hour & 15 min.) and then let the kids work with our Rosetta Stone computer curriculum while I have a little time alone with our tutor. Of course there are always "kinks" in the day/week....a neighbor stops by, Matt is at the house, Matt brings a friend home for lunch, and this week Thursday & Friday were local holidays so kids were ringing the bell for candy all day (we let W&G go with their new friends - what memories!)!! In the end, all the "i"s were dotted and "t"s crossed. One of the reasons we are homeschooling is for the "kinks". We want to be flexible. Our WHOLE family is here to love and serve. Now, just 35 more weeks to go!! His Mercies are New Every Morning! AT
































































2 comments:

J.A.C.K.Z. said...

OK, I have to ask... I noticed the chore list and schedule posted on William's wall. I'm always in search of something that will fit us. Would you mind sharing an example with me? I tend to over-complicate mine :)

J.A.C.K.Z. said...

OK, I have to ask... I noticed the chore list and schedule posted on William's wall. I'm always in search of something that will fit us. Would you mind sharing an example with me? I tend to over-complicate mine :)