Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What am I hungry for?

In my last post, I talked about chewing on the Word throughout the day, so with Thanksgiving plans in the air and that in mind, I guess the next challenge to me should be in regards to my daily diet. What does my appetite look like? Am I filling up on the junk of man's approval, the pleasures of material possessions, the security of a money in the bank - my personal sin list goes on and on... I find it interesting that when Jesus fed the 5,000 He did so with barley bread - cheap bread. I believe this was no accident. I think He was trying to make a strong point about filling up on what the world has to offer. After this miraculous event, the people still did not understand that they needed to make a change in their feasting habits or they would always be hungry. They found Jesus and asked for more cheap bread. In John 6, Jesus replies to their request, "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you..." Still not understanding, the people asked for bread again. Jesus replies, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst." Now, in their ignorance they began to grumble. Jesus responds by saying, "I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died....I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread he will live forever....My flesh is true food and My blood is true drink." As a result of this, the Bible says that many withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore. Was Christ really asking too much of them? Is He asking too much of us? How many times have I chosen to pull up to the Father's table only because I "needed" something? Maybe my desire was healing, direction, wisdom or any number of noble things, but my reasons have been the same - Do this Father and You will get glory. I will praise you. People will see Your power. This may be true and I may have been sincere, but when did I become the manager of God's glory? (love that question by JoanneShelter in her book And the Word came with Power ) When did I gain the wisdom of knowing what is best or obtain the right to sit on the throne of my life? Will I walk away from the Father's table still not satified because I am asking for cheap bread? A few years ago, Pastor Jordan Fowler from NorthWood Church gave a very tangible illustration during one of his sermons. He sat down to a table on the stage and proceeded to eat, and eat and eat chips leaving no room for a friend's prized steak or his mother's wonderful pie. His question to us was, "What are we filling ourselves with and missing out on God's best?" I wrote a blog in May asking myself that very question, "What am I full of?" Click here to read. Looking at what I am full of will certainly tell me what I have been feasting upon. I know all too often I get stuffed/satisfied with chips so much so that I am not hungry for food that is the most beneficial. Am I satisfied with the cheap bread/chips that God provides? Don't get me wrong, He does give us "cheap" things or babyfood to teach us to trust Him and rely on His provision...and those things are needed and enriching. However, now that I am a growing believer am I asking God for more nourishing things that will sustain me and provide lasting fruit? Let it not be said to me, "I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able." 1Cor.3:2 May my diet be of the fresh and new foods that the Lord desires for me. May I sit down at His table daily and feast upon the portion He has for me...not so that my belly is full of milk, but so that I am empowered by His meat portion. I do not want it to be my story that I grew weary because of only eating cheap bread and "withdrew and was not walking with him" because I could no longer grow by chips alone. My prayer today is that I learn to chew on meat (the hard things; the things that make you ask more and more questions) so that by filling my stomach with a new feast I am able to be sustained in the work He has for me and the fruit that I pass on to others is pleasing to the Father and lasting in His Kingdom.
Working on a New Diet, AT
PS: The pictures are of a turkey craft project that our sweet Grandma Lisa Jump sent to the kids. William's turkey is "Super Turkey". His alias is Mr. Gobble. Grace's turkey is a princess. Thank you so much; all the crafts have really been helpful while we have been feeling so poorly. : )

2 comments:

The Travis Team said...

A friend of mine just sent me this sermon pod cast. It is excellent. It deals with the subject I have been discussing - Feasting Daily on the Word of God.
http://www.gatewaypeople.com/sermons/2009/20091024_TheBreadOfHeaven.html

I look forward to listening to the whole sermon series - Thanks Julie

AT

The Brown Family said...

Love your new look! Hope you guys are feeling better!