Friday, March 15, 2013

Consistent Listening...

We have been at our new apartment for only 2 weeks.  However, it has been long enough that our ears are accustomed to the constant sound of the ocean.  I love it!  It is a wonderful sound and makes me feel good all over! At first, I wondered if I would ever get any work done.  I just wanted to stare out the window and/or take a nap.  My brain kept telling me I was on vacation! 

However, life must go on...and today, Matt left to go back to America on a business trip.  That left me to drive for the first time up to our new church in Ras Al Khaimah.  Okay, everyone that knows me realizes two things about that statement.  One, I have NEVER driven overseas, and two, I have NOOOOO sense of direction!  What I do have is my GPS - aka - Mr. TomTom, but more importantly, I also have William!  He is like his dad and has been telling me where to go since he could talk and realized I was lost.  (which is any time I drive!)

Well, as my "luck" would have it, they are doing construction on the outskirts of Ajman.  I managed to get around it on the way out of town, but on the way back in, I got totally "re-directed" which equals = turned around.  Mr. TomTom had no clue what my problem was because he had not been updated.  His answer was for me to "turn around when possible".  The more I drove the more anxious I began to get, but bless his precious heart, William just began looking around the area.  Then he said, "Mom, we live by the water.  Let's just go in that direction."  He then rolled down the window and paused: "Listen! I hear it" he exclaimed after a few seconds!  "Let's just follow the sound!" 

There was great wisdom in that advice!  Yes, why continue to just drive around? What I needed to do was pause, pray and follow the right sound...HIS "sound"! 

John 10:27 says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."  Do I know the voice of my Master so clearly and amidst traffic, city noise and much distraction, I can pick it out and follow it?  How can I learn to know it that well?...the only way is to daily, consistently with purpose - LISTEN!

Am I spending time listening?  Do I ever get so engulfed that I feel His sound all over me like I do the ocean? 

Psalm 139:17-18 says, "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you." 

If I really believed that God's thoughts were precious,  I would be quiet and listen so that I could hear them.  If I really believed that God had something to say to me when I wake in the morning, I would be quiet and listen!  If I really believed that He was with me, I would be quiet and LISTEN!

Father, quiet me.  Help me to spend time listening.  Help me to know your voice so well that I can follow it despite distractions, other voices and confusing feelings.  You alone are what I need.  May your voice be the constant rhythm of the ocean in my ears today.  AT     

 

No comments: