Monday, September 10, 2012

Ex-Pat does not Equal Extrovert!

One of the things that I have found especially challenging about living overseas is the fact that I am by God's design an introvert.  I think most people assume that because I have surrendered to following God's calling overseas it means that I am an extrovert.  Well, I am NOT!!  In fact, the last three years have stretched me more than I can even express.  It is totally out of my comfort zone to: make new relationships; make a fool of myself speaking in a foreign language; have people stare at me constantly; have people ask me questions about everything in my life; and the list goes on and on!!  Recently, a friend of mine posted The 12 rules for Introverts list on Facebook.  I can totally relate to all of them, and at the same time, I can give you countless examples of times when I have been forced to live outside of my natural personality and embrace the life of an extrovert.  Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."    I know that the Father is working the extrovert experiences I have had for my good.  He is growing me for His glory.  However, I confess, it has really stressed me at times.  Also, this life calling doesn't stop when we return to the U.S.  I freely admit I am VERY nervous about the coming months.  We are going to be traveling and sharing non-stop.  Although I am very passionate about all that the Father is doing overseas, I am still apprehensive about being so open with so many.  Please remember me (and William) in the coming months.  May we be emboldened for Him.  May we learn to rely on His strength and trust Him that He has plans for Introverts living in an Extrovert world!  AT   

No comments: