
The ability to smell is an amazing thing....isn't it! Sometimes....like when they added the seafood section to our local market last week....I really wish I was lacking in the ability to get a good whiff. On other occasions, our sense of smell plays tricks on us.....like when we first moved overseas, I really thought that my new hand wash dish soap smelled like the toilet bowl cleaner I used in the States. I confess I carefully read/translated the label several times to make sure I wasn't washing my dishes with the wrong thing! There are many times when our ability to smell helps us detect a problem. Last week, I put a chicken on the stove to boil, and...yep, I forgot about it...that is until I smelled the smoke that was billowing from the kitchen. Of course, that little incident had to happen just after I had washed the curtains in the entire apartment...everything WAS smelling so clean! I do appreciate that I have a heightened sense of smell on the days when I have a child that is coming down with something. I know it is strange, but I can smell a person's body chemistry changing because of illness. On the bright side, there are many more times when our sense of smell brings us good memories and special feelings. A few weeks ago, while I was fixing Grace's hair, she told me that our new jel smells like grandpa. Now, she

lovely refers to the jel as her "grandpa's perfume". (My dad is known for smelling good - he loves cologne!) William thinks that our new hand soap smells like jello. He is pretty sure that it is made from "the wiggly stuff" he had in the US. There is also nothing like the smell of fresh banana bread and a newly opened Dr. Pepper! It is finally the allotted time in our city to start burning the coal furnaces that will heat the buildings over the next 5-6 months. The air is filled with the smell of "campfire". It reminds me of special fall evenings spent in the backyard of our dear friends the Birds. I guess I am writing about smells today because I am missing precious friends and family, and I am also trying to think about the importance of my fragrance as a follower of Christ. Tomorrow begins the biggest holiday in the Islamic religion. Kurban Bayramı is the "Feast of Sacrifice". You can (
Click Here) for more information. I am not looking forward to the smell of blood and death in our city, but I am hopeful for opportunities to fellowship with my neighbors. Please pray for us this week as you feel led. Our desire is to be a fragrant aroma for Him. "
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ and manifest through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. " 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 I hope I smell good!! AT
No comments:
Post a Comment