My kids love to wrestle with their daddy. (You can click Wrestle Mania to see pics and read more.) This past Sunday, the kids were thrilled to spend an hour on the trampoline
“takin’ down” the “Daddy-the-Devastator Travis”. For them it is a great way to bond, burn some energy and make memories. I love to listen to their giggles and be the one that kisses any boo-boos.While watching this fun, God made clear to me something that He has been working in my heart for a while. It is in the area of POWER. If the kids were to try to sit still on the trampoline and simply hold a hand up to keep off the “enemy”, they would be crushed. They lack the power to stand up under the weight of such an attack. It doesn’t matter how much they know about wrestling, have studied the different hold techniques or claimed power to see them through - Matt is ready "BrotheRRRR". What the kids have learned through the process is to be on the offense and to charge with power & confidence! Many times I have watched Matt loose his footing, slip and end up with two little wrestlers sitting on him with big smiles!
Why is it that I think that in my spiritual walk I need to focus on being on the defense? I do need to study, memorize, go to church, etc. etc. There is value in those things and scripture teaches us to guard and protect our hearts & minds, (DO NOT email me with the need for forgiveness, cleaning, deliverance, growth, knowledge – I believe in those things!) but lately I have been convicted over the many scriptures that simply instruct us to Go, Move Out & Walk. (Gal. 5, Mark 16:15; Matthew 28:19) Why is it that I think I need to have XYZ in order before I feel like I am ready to walk with God?
I heard someone say recently that believers try to make things too complicated by studying the newest books, going to the hottest conferences, being involved in ministry, etc. Growing in knowledge and service is a blessing and a fruit, but I have come to realize that it will not sustain me. The only thing that sustains is being connected to the vine. The reality is that God simply asks us to wake up each day, enthrone him, be filled with the Spirit and go forth in Christ. If I am connected to the vine, I will walk in strength & power and be sustained through life.
I am realizing that it is likely not a coincidence that Ephesians 5 instructs us to walk in the Spirit, and it is then followed by Ephesians 6 telling us how to put on God’s armor as we go. I think the message to me is to not allow fear or my need to have all the answers (be in control) to hinder me from living a life in Him. I need to be moving on the offense. There is no armor for my backside!
With this revelation in mind, what then is expected of me as I go forth? Isaiah 49:9a says, “ ‘Go forth,’ To those who are in darkness, ‘Show yourselves.’” Jude 1:23a says that we are to be “snatching them out of the fire.” Can I really go to the gates of hell and pull someone out? I believe that Christ is the gate keeper to life. He holds the keys to hell (Rev. 1:18) and he is also the only way to heaven (John 14:16). (See also John 3:17-18; 36) If I believe that, than the answer is, YES. I can (and should be) in His power go to the gate and bring someone to the gatekeeper/into a new life.
A friend was telling me recently a story of disciplining sheep. We both shook our heads at the silliness of focusing so much on “bringing someone into the fold” (the church) and expecting them to act like "all the other sheep". The "fox" is not afraid of other sheep. He will circle and devour anything. The fox is afraid, however, of the Shepard. Our personal focus and focus in disciplining others should be in staying near our Shepard (the gatekeeper), and teaching others to stay connected to the Shepard. It doesn’t matter the church, the books, the ministries they involve themselves in. Their ministry and walk with the Lord WILL NOT look like mine. I should not want anyone to follow me. My desire should be to put people in the arms of the Shepard so that HE can empower them and use their lives as He sees fit for His glory.
I am encouraged today to realize that I do not have to be anyone special, read
any particular books (except the Holy one!) or have some spiritual knack for keeping myself on guard. I simply need to wake-up; enthrone Him; be filled with the Spirit; put on His armor and go forth connected to the vine and listening to the voice of my Shepard. It is Christ that sustains me each day, equips me for staying on the offense in the battle and gives me the power I need to lead a glorifying life for His kingdom.Ministry and personal growth will happen, but power and fulfilment come simply by daily being found in Him.
AT
"I will thank you, Lord, among all people. I will sing your praises among the nations. For your unfailing love is higher than the heavens." Psalms 108:3-4
No comments:
Post a Comment