Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you?

I suppose every generation has major world events that stand as mile markers of change. Some of the major events in mine have to be the falling of the Berlin wall, the explosion of the Challenger and of course, the events of 911.

Where was I on September 11, 2001?
I was almost 8 months pregnant with my son, and my Mam-maw was staying with me; otherwise, I might not have had on the television. I stood in my living room in shock as I watched the replay of the first events over and over. I was preparing to leave the house to go to a check-up. Thankfully, God gave me the car ride to pray and seek His wisdom because when I walked into the waiting room all occupants were in the same state I was in at home. Names were being called to go back to see the doctor and no one would move from the lobby television. It was at that time the towers began to fall and people started to weep. I did the only thing I knew to do - Pray. The next thing I knew women were around me doing the same thing. Then my name was being called and eyes were staring at me for reassurance I wasn't sure how to give. I am NOT a public speaker, but somehow God gave me words and scripture to share. I would give you the verses or words now, but truthfully, I don't remember. It was for that time and for those women.

I have found that God is often like that. He gives us what we need at the exact time we need it. Today, as I remember the events of that day. I am reminded that He is sovereign. He never leaves us. His ways are not our ways. He desires a personal relationship with each of us.

This life is fleeting. What choices will I make today that will last for eternity?

AT

Below are pictures from a business trip to NY that I tagged along on in 2007:








Ground Zero; Cards on the Fence; Liberty St. Sign (I find that an interesting name for the street. Was that changed after 911?)













Matt & Amy in Central Park; Work sign on gate to the reconstruction

2 comments:

The Travis Team said...

I am a dork! The street name is Liberty because it is the same street that leads down to the Statue of Liberty. Well, every now and then a blond has to have a moment! Amy

Niall MacC said...

Hello there,
I found your blog on Belinda's blog. I remember that day. My son was 3 an I was at home with him when I saw it on TV. He spent the day playing with his toy plane crashing it... Very sad.
Ruth